The application portal is now closed. Click the link below to check the status of your application. Summer applications closed on April 15th, and Fall/Spring applications closed on May 15th. For questions, please contact


Application Requirements

Eligible recipients must be the spouse (all ages) or child* (under the age of 26) of:

  • A member of the U.S. military who died as a result of hostile action or in an accident related to U.S. combat operations.
  • An employee of the U.S. government who died as a result of hostile action or in an accident related to U.S. combat operations.

* While we welcome children under the age of 18 in The Folded Flag Foundation scholarship program, we require a parent or guardian to complete and submit the scholarship application form on behalf of the child.

Please review documentation requirements below prior to applying.

The Application

Available Scholarships

Children’s Education Scholarship
For eligible children in grades K-12, The Folded Flag Foundation provides scholarships and educational grants to cover private school tuition and fees, tutoring, after-school programs, summer camps and other related educational expenses.

College or Technical/Trade School Scholarship
For college-bound* spouses and children, The Folded Flag Foundation provides scholarships and educational grants to cover tuition and fees, books, computers, living expenses (to include child care for students with young children), tutoring, test preparation services and career preparation expenses (internships, resume writing workshops, interview preparation training, etc.).

* “College-bound” refers to public and private colleges and universities, as well as technical institutes and trade/vocational schools.

Summer Applications
We will be accepting applications for summer activities or summer school. There will be a limit of no more than 3 activities, they need to be in person and not virtual. Summer awards have no impact on any fall/spring awards. Summer application opens March 1 and closes April 15.  

The General Montgomery (Monty) C. Meigs Scholarship
The General Montgomery (Monty) C. Meigs Scholarship is awarded to an individual who demonstrates the outstanding characteristics of Monty Meigs. This individual excels both in the classroom and on the field and strives to help others through selfless service. Click here to learn more.

What You Need to

In order to have your application be considered, the following documentation must be submitted for review along with your scholarship application:

Proof of Eligibility:

  • Fallen Family Member’s Death Certificate or DD1300 Casualty Report*
  • For deaths after discharge from service resulting from combat-sustained injury or illness*:
    • VA determination letter of service-connected disability
    • VA letter confirming death related to service-connected disability
  • Birth Certificate, Adoption Paperwork or Marriage Certificate showing applicant’s legal next of kin relationship to Fallen Family Member prior to date of death*
  • For post-secondary or graduate level students: VA letter of eligibility for funding – Chapter 33 Fry Scholarship or Chapter 35 Dependents’ Educational Assistance?

*Returning applicants do not need to provide documentation marked with an * as we already have it on file

Proof of Enrollment in School:

  • Letter of Acceptance, Class Schedule or other proof of active enrollment for the school year for which funding support is being requested.

Proof of Need:

  • Tuition Letter from school website or financial aid office showing projected tuition and fees for the upcoming school year, as well as other educational costs (actual or estimated), such as room and board and transportation.
  • Service Provider Cost Estimates or Invoices for after-school programs, tutoring services, summer camps, etc. Note: please include the service provider’s Tax ID number for verification purposes.
  • Estimates or Invoices for Off-Campus Housing from school website or financial aid office

NOTE: You will not be able to provide links to the school’s website information. Please print and scan the needed documentation or request a copy from the financial aid office. You can also visit the College Calc website for estimated costs by school. 


  • Copy of Applicant’s Driver License/State ID CardMilitary ID Card, or U.SPassport
  • Applicant Photo or Photo of Applicant with Fallen Parent/Family (limit 3 photos per application)